3/4 lb ground beef
1 lb ground pork
1 onion large, grated
1/2 c. breadcrumbs
4 Tbsp flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
2-3 cloves of garlic
1/2 tsp. sage leaves
half & half or milk for consistency (1/4 to 1/2 c.)
3/4 - 2 Tbsp drippings from Frickadeller
tiny butter if needed
3 Tbsp flour
1 c. heavy cream Milk works too
1 Tbsp. beef bouillon
salt & pepper
- Combine beef, pork and onion. Add breadcrumbs, flour, eggs, salt, pepper, nutmeg, garlic,and sage leaves (it works best if you mix it with your hands).
- Slowly add half & half for consistency (you want them to be slightly sticky, you shouldn't beable to form them into a perfect ball). Coat large skillet well with butter. Drop clumps ofmixture (a heaping tablespoon-size) onto the skillet.
- Fry on medium to medium low heat until brown (press the meat down a lightly with a fork soit flattens out a little.. it should look like a fat hamburger.. see picture below), then flip (approx3-5 minutes per side). Add more butter with each batch.
- Serve with gravy (see below). Don't wash the skillet-- you will want the brown bits anddrippings for the gravy
For the gravy:
- Add the flour to the drippings to form a roux (add butter if needed). Slowly add cream (ormilk) until mixture reaches gravy consistency. Add beef bouillon, salt & pepper to taste.